Tuesday, February 15, 2011
Why Juannie Can't Read
In light of the Administration's focus on school lunches and children's diets it behooves me to address a scholastic concern which really counts. There is a concern extant in the world of American academia having to do with the difficulty Hispanic children are having with reading. The general reasoning is that a lack of familiarity with the English language, poverty, and yes that old Liberal standby racism , are the root causes for this reading problem. I beg to differ ( knew that was coming, huh?). First of all it behooves me to ask why Hispanics, especially Puerto Ricans, are the only wave of immigrants ( I know, technically Puerto Ricans are not immigrants) who come to these shores and do not immediately teach themselves the language. For crying out loud Puerto Rico is contiguous with the U.S.! Secondly, if poverty was a reason to hamper the ability to read, I would not be laboring furiously over this brilliant blog! (I kid the blog is merely insightful...in a brilliant way). Finally, racism too would not account for the vast amount of Hispanic students in remedial reading. May I offer a rationale? Perhaps Hispanic parents need to spend the time they have sitting at home reading to their kids and spend less time listening to Democrats tell them how woebegone they are.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment